*Forewarning* below is a recipe that is actually addictive. Like can’t wait for the coconut oil to freeze, eat it straight out of the freezer addictive. This raw, vegan delight is the perfect sweet treat for Christmas and the New Year.
TLT friend Real Food Healthy Body is a talented athlete (babe has been in the ring for some mixed martial arts fights lately) and an epic healthy recipe developer. When we asked for her healthiest Xmas dessert this is what was brought to the table and we’re addicted.
Raw Rocky Road
Gluten-Free | Grain-Free | Dairy-Free | Vegan
For the base:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup raw brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup raw pistachio nuts
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Line a 20cm x 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- To make the base, mix the melted coconut oil, cacao powder, nut butter, maple syrup and sea salt together in a large bowl until well combined. Add the brazil nuts, pistachio nuts, coconut flakes and cranberries and mix until everything is coated in the chocolate mixture. Set the mixture aside in the fridge for a few minutes until the mixture thickens slightly, then pour it into the lined baking tin, spreading it out in an even layer with the back of a spoon. Return to the fridge.
- To make the topping, mix the melted coconut oil, cacao powder and maple syrup together until well combined. Retrieve the tin from the fridge and pour over the topping mixture in an even layer. Sprinkle over the remaining coconut flakes and return to the fridge for a few hours to set.
- Once set, remove the slab from the tin and cut into pieces with a sharp knife. Store in the fridge or freezer.
Makes 20 pieces.