As a part of #FEBFAST the TL Team are giving up sugar for the month. Sounds easier then what it is because sugar is everywhere – sauces, muesli, fruits, etc but we’re not on that whole bandwagon of cutting out fruit – your body needs natural forms of sugar for energy. But it’s always good to be mindful of how much sugar you are eating and doing FEBFAST has made us well aware. There’s the detox symptoms – headaches, mood swings and fatigue (3 pm slump hello) but there are some handy tips and tricks to help you power through, kick sugar and amp up your health.
- Avoid salty foods – Salt absorbs water so if you’re adding lots of salt to your meals or cooking everything in tamari cut back. Being dehydrated your body craves sweet foods so make sure you reduce the salt and keep up the fluids.
- Make friends with good fats – Avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, oily fish all in moderation satisfies the body. When your body is satisfied, hormones are balanced and again no sugar cravings. Add some good fats to every meal and if you’re a snack a handful of nuts will do the job.
- Eat more protein – Balanced meals are key. Don’t go overboard on starchy high carb foods like potatoes, bread, rice etc. they spike insulin levels that can lead to massive slumps post meal and sugar cravings. Load up on leafy greens instead.
- No processed foods – If it comes in a packet, has number on the ingredients list put it down. Processed foods are either loaded with sugar or salt and is just a no go zone.
- Limit natural sugars – Controversial. Maybe. But when you have a lot of natural sugars in your diet – dried fruit, honey, fruit this is all still loaded with sugar and sugar leads to the brain craving more sugar. Don’t cut it out all together but always be mindful of how much you are eating. If you’re having muesli with dried fruit in the morning to decrease the amount of sugar you’re eating skip the trail mix snack and chai with honey in it that day.
It’s not easy. But you will feel better for it so give it a crack even if you’re not doing FEBFAST.
TL + TEAM X