2015 was a big year for health and wellness. It saw the rise of green smoothies, Kombucha became a household name, coconut oil was being slathered on everything and quick HIIT workouts and instagram brought Kayla Itsines into fitness superstar status with an army of ‘BBG’ girls. What’s next for 2016? The healthy living lifestyle will continue to boom, which is a tick for health and fitness enthusiasts like us. Keep your eyes out for these trends to watch in the next year.
- Bulletproof coffee will be the morning choice of drinks – We’ve given you the 411 on what bulletproof. Expect this drink to be the next ‘green smoothie’ hit of 2016.
- Matcha everything – We’re already big fans of the alkalizing and health benefits of a matcha latte but with special matcha cafes popping up around the world expects to see matcha granola, raw treats and drinks popping up everything.
- Mushroom tonics – Lucky to find the odd health café with lattes infused with medicinal mushrooms such as Reishi and chaga. Loaded with benefits from balancing hormones and decreasing stress the popularity of these fungi are on the up – Sip on these when stress levels are high and caffeine is the last thing you should be drinking.
- Bowls for breakfast lunch and dinner – 2015 saw the rise of smoothie bowls for breakfast but expect to see all meals eaten out of bowls in 2016. Some cafes in the US are already popping up that are specialist ‘bowl’ bars. Buddha bowls, poke bowls, Macro bowls – Load the body with the most nutrients as possible whilst balancing fats, carbs and proteins.
- Minerals will become rockstars – Everyone knows how important Vitamins are but more focus will be shifting to the other nourishing nutrient our body requires – minerals. Magnesium, potassium, zinc you will all know what growing and healing benefits these bad boys have by years end.
- The anti-diet – Every year bring rise to a crazy new fad diet that people jump on the bandwagon of think paleo and no sugar of late. 2016 will see the end of restrictive diets as people become more aware of bringing balance back into their life. Eat well, clean foods majority of time but don’t beat yourself up if you crave some chips or a bit of bread. It’s not the end of the world – you’re human.
- More focus on recovery – We all put our body through so much stress and give it a pounding every time we workout. A lot of focus will move towards recovery after intense workouts – more foods with magnesium, specialist stretching classes for runners and foam rollers become our new best friends.
- Quicker workouts – HIIT and functional training are here to stay. People’s lives are busier so they want the health benefits of working out but just don’t have the time. Studies show a 20 minute HIIT session with sprints is just as effective for your fitness as a 40 minute run..Which would you choose?
- YIN is the new cool kid – Yin yoga will be popping up at every yoga studio. Holding postures for longer times, more relaxing and opening up the body more with emphasis on letting sh!t go it’s one of our favourite things to do to chill out and more people are jumping on the bandwagon.
- Meditation is a daily ritual – People are becoming more mindful in their busy lives and are finding it’s important to switch off and find balance. Meditation classes are becoming more popular. Find a technique that sits well with you and take time out each for yourself to recharge.
2016 is going to be an amazing year for health and wellness and we cant wait to see what other trends pop up over time.
Lets see what happens.
TL + TEAM X